MARCH IS FRAUD AWARENESS MONTH
These events include:
Public information booth – March 8th & 9th - Polo Park Mall, Centre Court
Twitter conversation - March 19th, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., #WPSFraudSquad
“Shred It” Event - March 31st, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at St. Vital Mall parking lot outside Silver City. A maximum of two bags or boxes per person to this FREE event please.
Preventing fraud takes an awareness to recognize when an offering is false, in knowing how to protect your personal information, and in how to prevent from falling to pressure tactics from con artists. These events are designed to provide education and reduce losses to involving fraud; losses which totaled almost $100 million for Canadians in 2012.
The Winnipeg Police Service would like to remind citizens of the following:
- Never send money to anyone you only know from an unsolicited phone call or email
- Never give out sensitive personal information online or over the phone
- Research any request for money before making a commitment
- Find a “Fraud Buddy” – someone whose advice you respect – and run any request for money by them before you commit to it.
- Never feel pressured to make a quick decision, and