Friday, August 30, 2013
BACK TO SCHOOL SAFETY
As the new school year is upon us, the Winnipeg Police Service would like to remind parents and guardians of the importance of the safety of our children as they go to and from school. Each year, serious safety hazards are created when children are being dropped off and picked up from school.
Parents and guardians who are stopping or parking their vehicles while dropping their children off are reminded to do so in an appropriate and legal fashion, paying particular attention to no stopping/parking signs in schools zones. Drivers should be abiding with the pick-up and drop off programs that are already established for your school.
If your child walks to school, walk with your child several times to familiarize them with the route and point out traffic hazards and situations to avoid. As the distance from home to school increases, so does the risk of encountering traffic safety hazards.
Talk to your child about traffic safety and teach them when and where it is safest to cross while stressing the importance of using crosswalks and abiding by the direction of School Patrols. Children should visually scan potential dangerous areas such as parking lots and driveways for vehicles.
Parents, guardians and other motorists should consider the volume and speed of the traffic in your area. Be mindful of children in the area and pay particular attention near schools as children could dart from between vehicles at any time.
Stop signs on buses picking up and dropping off children must always be respected. Anyone not stopping when a school bus has its stop sign and lights activated may be subject to a fine under the Highway Traffic Act.
Please remember, Just Slow Down.
- What is the Deaf Resource Centre (DRC)?
- Sponsors, Friends, and Partnerships
- NEW UPDATED: DRC Hours/Contact Information
- Manitoba Deaf Association
- Deaf Centre Manitoba Inc Board
- Deaf Centre Manitoba Inc Privacy Act
- Deaf Resource Centre Library is now working on, new information. Thank you for your patience to wait for new books/dvds soon to be announced.
- Contact list of Manitoba Organizations
- International Week of the Deaf (IWD) 2019
- Manitoba Deaf Sports Association
- Red River College & University of Manitoba Deaf St...