Job Position available at Red River College- DSP,DLP & AEIP Department:
Deaf Studies, Deaf Literacy, & ASL-English Interpretation Programs
Term from August 2013 to June 2014
Creative Arts Department
The School of Business and Applied Arts
Red River College is a leader in applied learning and innovation. Our talented team of employees is passionate about education, innovation and student success. We offer competitive salaries, extensive benefits, and the opportunity for personal and professional growth in a rewarding career. Together, we are going places.
Duties: Developing and updating course outlines and curriculum as required; instructing in classroom, lab, and tutorial environments; counseling students and evaluating student progress; supervising/organizing students’ independent projects and practicum; coordinating workshops with guest speakers and outside agencies; participating in departmental activities outside the classroom; assisting with College activities including student registration and orientation; responding to inquiries from potential applicants and interviewing applicants.
· A degree from a recognized post-secondary institution, an equivalent combination of experience and/or training may be considered.
· Significant current work experience as an instructor
· A thorough understanding of enculturation and the interpreting process with the ability to support students
· Demonstrated fluency in American Sign Language
· Exceptional skills in English Language comprehension and use
· Experience in tutoring/teaching functional literacy and basic skills to Deaf adult learners
· Experience/knowledge in Deaf culture and history, ethics, and cross-cultural issues
· Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
· The ability to work both independently and with others in a team environment
· Cultural Sensitivity
· Commitment to Lifelong Learning
· Evidence of continuous professional development
· Solid experience using current technology including computer and AV equipment
· Evidence of strong working relationships with the Deaf community and organizations
· Sensitivity to, and understanding of the learning needs of adult learners from a wide range of educational, cultural, socio-economic and age groups
Candidates are asked to specifically address the above Qualification Requirements in their application.
Candidates chosen for interviews will be required to provide a portfolio of their recent professional and creative work.
Instructors employed with Red River College, are required as a condition of employment, to complete a Certificate of Adult Education (CAE).
This position may be required to work evenings.
We seek diversity in our workplace. Aboriginal persons, women, visible minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Competition Number: 2013-059
Closing Date: June 7, 2013
Salary: $53,316 - $79,208*
*The successful candidate with a Masters or PhD in a related field will receive an
Educational Supplement of $2,725 or $5,450 per annum respectively pro-rated on an hourly basis.
Apply to: Red River College
C410 - 2055 Notre Dame Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3H 0J9
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.